This week we have looked at four ways to reduce energy costs. This last article is probably the best and easiest way to reduce energy consuption in your home. Please pass these articles along to neighbours, friends and family. Together we can save money and reduce greenhouse gasses.
No Cost / Low Cost
- Turn off lights whenever you leave a room or don’t need them, even for just a few minutes.
- Dust your lamps, shades, light fixtures and bulbs regularly. A cleaner bulb is a brighter bulb. Dusty bulbs give off less light but use the same amount of electricity.
- Use reading lamps or other forms of task lighting to concentrate bright light where you need it rather than overhead lights that evenly light the entire room.
- Decorate your home with illumination in mind – lighter colours reflect light, so use them in areas that you want to be bright.
Save Even More
- Switch from incandescent to compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs). Compact fluorescent light bulbs use 75% less energy and last about 5 to 10 times longer than incandescent light bulbs.
- Make your holiday displays smart and fashionable with LED decorative light strings – they last up to 10 times longer, and use up to 90% less energy than traditional holiday lights.
- Replace incandescent nightlights with an LED. LED night lights use less than a watt of electricity
sourse: Fortis alberta