Many of you know that I am a little bit of a safety Guru (largely because I have probably done every dumb thing that can possibly hurt me and I don’t wish the same for you). During the holidays, many people put themselves at increased risk of fire and electrocutions. Please follow these important safety tips and have an accident-free holiday:
- Inspect each decoration before plugging into an outlet. Cracked, frayed or exposed wires and loose connections may cause a serious electric shock or start a fire.
- Be careful not to mount or hang light strands in any way that might damage the cord’s insulation. Do not staple or nail them.
- Avoid plugging in too many holiday lights and other decorations into a single outlet. Overloaded outlets can overheat and cause a fire.
- Turn lights and other decorations off when you leave home or go to bed.
- Keep space heaters at least one metre away from any combustible materials, such as bedding, clothing, draperies furniture and rugs. Also keep them away from water