Most people don’t realize that most household fires begin in the kitchen than anywhere else in the home. Please take a moment to review the following article; it may save your home and your life!
Stove related fires
- Turn pot handles so that the do not hang over the edge. You may inadvertently bump the handle or a child may pull it down, spilling its hot contents and potentially burning someone.
- Never leave any cooking food unattended.
- Avoid any loose clothing, towels or pot holders near the elements
- If a grease fire starts, put on a pair of oven mitts and carefully slid a pot lid over the pot to smother the flames. DO NOT POUR WATER ON A GREASE FIRE!
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby that is classed for kitchen use. It should be labelled: ABC. This rates it to put our fires involving normal combustibles, petroleum fires and electrical fires.
- Maintain a clean cooking surface. Old grease build up can ignite.
- If a fire starts in your oven, turn the oven off and keep the door closed to prevent the flames from spreading.
- Avoid placing metals in a microwave (twist ties, sour cans etc.) If a fire starts in your microwave, unplug it and keep the door closed until the fire extinguishes itself.